Monday, April 4, 2011

CrossFit Sectionals... seriously???

The CrossFit Games process has begun.  What in the world is that??? Well, CF will say it is the journey to identifying the fittest man and woman on Earth.  Ok... Not going to split hairs with that one.  But nuts and bolts... what is it really about?  CrossFitters from around the world compete to see who comes out on top!  We start with 'sectionals' which are local  regions designated by CF headquarters.  This year is quite different than previous ones in that there are 6 workouts spaced over 6 weeks for the competition.  Workouts are announced by CFHQ at 5pm Pacific on Tuesdays.  Competitors then have until Sunday evening to submit a score.  You have two options for scores... first is to do your workout at an approved CF affiliate with a judge and then they validate your score once it is entered on the website.  Or you may submit your workout via video and it will be judged by the CF community.  Movements must be to a designated standard that is established by HQ.  The top competitors from the sectionals then move on to a regional competition and the top athletes from there will go to the international games this summer.  Soooo... this begs the question...

What in the world am I doing competing in the sectionals??????  
It's ok... I'm not offended that you think that.  I think that about two dozen times a day.  One of the biggest selling points for CF, IMHO, is that it is available to everyone regardless of fitness level, skill or strength.  I have judged CF competitions the last few years and encourage everyone to give it a try.  Well, this year it was thrown back in my face...

"Why aren't YOU competing????"

"well, I'm not very strong or fast. I have bad knees and a torn up shoulder.  I can't do alot of the workouts unmodified, I have to scale everything, I'm not really an athlete you know... ? There wouldn't be any point to it. "

"And what would you say to someone else who gave you that answer?"

"Obviously I would say that is a bunch of crap.  Everyone can CrossFit!  My 70 year old parents do it 3 times a week and I did it even when I was 100 pounds overweight.  It's about jumping in, giving your all and being part of an amazing community.  There is no excuse not to do it!!"

Ya... Nailed myself with that one!  So I signed up.  My box, Practice CrossFit, is holding a sectionals shindig every Friday night for the duration of the competition.  We can all come together to support one another and celebrate our community. It was official, I was in.

The first WOD (workout of the day) was announced.  

30 double unders (the jump rope passes under your feet twice for every one jump)
15 ground to overhead 55# (the barbell has to move from the ground to a locked out position overhead for each movement)

As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes. 

GREAT!!! I can't do double unders and can barely move my own arm overhead let alone a freakin barbell.   I tried to back out but my husband wouldn't let me.  We looked at the online leaderboard and saw there were women who spent their whole 10 minutes to achieve ONE double under.  WOW!!  I have to admire that... if there are women out there doing that how can I possibly not try? I watched videos of competitors missing arms and legs, athletes with fatal illnesses and steel pins holding their bodies together... how could I dare say "I can't" ?

CrossFit truly has no room for ego!  Humility reigns and if you are not willing to lay it all out you will never find your inner athlete through CF.   I finally agreed to just see what would happen. I was hoping to get a few double unders in and I'd be happy.  When my heat came up I was so scared I almost threw up and was shaking so hard I couldn't hold on to the jump rope. I had a judge in front of me to make sure my reps counted... and a group of surprisingly varied supporters surrounding me.

3, 2, 1, GO....   The traditional start to every CF workout.

I honestly can't explain what happened next.  Somehow I got through 3 rounds plus 27 more double unders.  It was the most incredible feeling.  It wasn't really me, but somehow the people around me were channeling energy and skill through me.  It was UNREAL! I laughed, I cried.

The entire evening was a little piece of heaven on earth.  It was what the world should be everyday.  People cheering for and encouraging strangers.  Tears of pain and joy... pride and accomplishment.  I cheered for Cindy... who was in her third week of CF.  What amazing heart she has! The person who was last to finished might well have been coming in for an Olympic Gold by the sounds and support of the crowd. Every person was pushed and cheered as if they were saving the world! I have never been so proud to be part of a community as I was that night!

On to WOD 2.  
9 deadlifts 100# for women/155# for men (this is considered a fairly light weight for most)
12 hands off push ups (you have to go all the way to the ground and pick your hands up before pushing up to plank position)
15 box jumps (this is a standing jump onto a box 20" for women/24" for men
As Many Rounds As Possible (AMRAP) in 15 minutes

Really?? Push ups?  On my toes?  With my shoulder?? I tried a few on Thursday... didn't work.   Nope, none, zip, nada.... not happening.  What to do??  Do I just scale the workout (which is just fine) or try to keep it as prescribed so I can stay on the leaderboard. Spent the afternoon in physical therapy (miracle worker Hollee) and decided to try to stay Rx (doing the workout as it was written).  I planned on getting my 9 deadlifts.. and, well, realistically that would probably be it.  I made peace with it. Once again the time came.  I just wanted to go home. My judge, Nicole, gave me her no crap look and said, "You are going to do this!".  My eyes rolled back into my head.

3, 2, 1... GO!  9 deadlifts. BAM! now what... I sank face down to the floor trying to find a position for my arms that met the standard (not too wide) but didn't send excruciating pain through my whole body. I did one and it was a good rep. I tried another... changed hand position and another.  Nicole and Kara were screaming at me to keep moving, not give up, not give in... Heather M. was yelling at me!!! rep by rep, minute by minute I kept going.  When it was all said and done I ran across the room to my husband ( who was competing at the same time so was unable to watch).  "How did it go?", he asked.  I burst into tears! He hugged me and said, "It's ok, you tried. That's all that counts."  I stepped back and sobbed, "but I did it! I did 5 rounds plus 9 deadlifts plus 5 more pushups!!! I did it RX!!!"  His eyes teared up (sorry hon... but it was so sweet!) and his face was full of pride.  It was so worth it!!!

I don't know what this week will bring and it's unlikely I will be able to continue Rx.  But I am so thankful for this amazing community that helps me to be more than I ever dreamed.  For all of you on the sidelines... there is no excuse.  CrossFit offers you the opportunity to dig deep within yourself and find strength you never knew existed.  Don't let this chance pass you by.  We are all enriched by being part of a community that knows we are more than appearances...

we are community, we are CrossFitters!!






4 comments:

  1. I love it that Anya took that video! I am so proud of you for doing this Amy! I am thinking about looking into crossfit when I get up to AK, it's just do darn expensive here in CO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posting to our site...nice Work Amelia..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You should be proud! You beat my score!!! Excellent work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gettin outta your damn head. novel, eh miss amelia. awesome post.

    ReplyDelete